Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Embroidering Stems and Lazy Daisies


I come from a long line of fabric artists. My grandfather could reproduce any item of clothing he saw, my grandmother and great grandmother were amazing embroidery artist and could make beautiful dolls all by hand. I was introduced to sewing at the age of 8 and have since learned to embroider. My favorite way to spend my free time making quilts, clothes, costumes and embroidering items. Here is a quick tutorial on how to easily embroider a running stem pattern with lazy daisies. 

I used these stitches to embroider a cloak when my daughter wanted to be Little Red Riding Hood for Halloween. These two stitches will get you the biggest bang for your buck, they are easy to accomplish and come out beautifully.




When embroidering you need a few key items. 
Cloth to embroider, cotton cloth is preferable.

****Tip: You can embroider satin, sateen, and silk but they require quite a bit of patience and a delicate hand.**** 

When learning how to embroider or learning a new stitch it is best to keep fabric squares on hand so you can perfect your stitching technique before you use more expensive fabric. I prefer to use embroidery squares. They are easy to practice on and are fairly inexpensive. 

Lets get started!





No comments:

Post a Comment