Friday, February 17, 2017

The Perfect Waffle Batter

My family, just like any other, has busy days and slow days. Busy days are particularly hard on me when it comes to getting everything done and making dinner. Luckily, for those super busy days my fall back meal is breakfast for dinner. I believe there is nothing better than eggs, bacon, fried potatoes, toast and orange juice! I grew up eating these staples every morning, my husband however grew up on a slightly different version of breakfast. His family isn't big on toast and fried potatoes so they would have pancakes. As newlyweds my husband would try to impress me with his pancake making skills. He was so sweet and he does make good pancakes, I just don't like pancakes. Fast forward a couple of years into our marriage and we had found the perfect compromise by having waffles instead of potatoes or pancakes. We discovered that I can have yummy chocolate-y Nutella on my waffles and he can have his syrup. It is the best of both worlds!

It took lots of trial and error but I found the perfect waffle recipe and I want to share it with you.

This recipe makes 4 large Belgium style waffles in my 10 inch round waffle iron.

2 cups flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
3 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 tablespoons oil
2 cups milk



Turn that waffle iron on so it is good and hot by the time you are finished mixing!

Place flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a mixing bowl and whisk together.



Dry Ingredients





Whisk in half of the milk (adding all the milk at once will have the undesirable effect of milk sloshing out of the mixing bowl while you or your mixer stirs the batter)

Batter will be thick at this point


Add eggs and oil mix thoroughly

Starting to mix

Eggs and oil fully incorporated



Add remaining milk and whisk for 1 minute.

Batter will be on the thin side once fully mixed



For immediate tasty waffles pour or ladle batter into your waffle iron that has been generously sprayed with cooking spray.

The batter also stores well for about 3 days when put in a sealed container in the refrigerator.



You can also mix all the dry ingredients ahead of time and put them in a freezer bag to be stored in the freezer, then simply write the rest of the recipe on the bag for easy meals later on.




These tasty treats can be served with Nutella, butter and syrup, berries and whipped cream or any other way that pleases your palate.

What are some of your favorite toppings?

No comments:

Post a Comment